Capstone Lawyers – The Anaheim Union High School District (the District) appealed from a judgment confirming an arbitration award in favor of the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees, Local 3112, AFL-CIO (the Union). The District contended the court was required to vacate the arbitration award because the arbitrator exceeded his powers when he ruled that the District violated the collective bargaining agreement between the parties by reducing the work year of certain classified employees without the consent of the Union and the employees. On December 16th, the Fourth Appellate District affirmed the judgment.
Education Code Secs. 45308 and 45117, dealing with layoffs of classified employees, do not permit a merit-system school district to reduce a classified employee’s work year in lieu of a layoff for lack of funds, without complying with an applicable collective bargaining agreement. The Union grievance challenging the District’s reduction of employees’ work year in violation of collective bargaining agreement was subject to arbitration.
Post by Capstone Lawyers
- Capstone Lawyers – Lost Wages in Villacorta (capstone lawyers)
- Capstone Lawyers – Amazon Sued for Detaining Workers (capstone lawyers)
- Capstone Lawyers Win Final Settlement Approval (capstone lawyers)
- Capstone Lawyers – Decertification Vacated in Williams (capstone lawyers)
- Capstone Lawyers – ERISA Suit’s $99m Settlement (capstone lawyers)
- Capstone Lawyers Address PAGA, CAFA (capstone lawyers)